Windows Update (SUP) Troubleshooting in SCCM 2012

Purpose: How to debug windows updates in SCCM – real-life examples

SCCM includes an integraded WSUS server in it. You can set this Software Update Point (SUP) to manage your environment windows updates. However, there most likely will some problems along the way, which an active admin will find himself struggling against. This post covers the usual problems seen from the client side.

Important Client-side SUP Logs
C:\Windows\WindowsUpdates.log Windows Update Service -log
C:\Windows\CCM\Logs\ContentTransferManager.log Download or access of SMS packages
C:\Windows\CCM\Logs\LocationServices.log Finds MPs and DPs
Update Stuck at Downloading 0%

There might be one, two or three problems that could cause this:

1) No Content distributed to the DP Find the software update, and make sure that the deployment package has been deployed to the DP or that there are no errors in the content distribution.
2) There is no DP available for this workstation Assign a Distribution Point for the Boundary or Boundary Group.
3) There is no Boundary available for this workstation Create a Boundary, Create or Join the Boundary to a Boundary Group. Make sure there is a Distribution Point assigned for the Boundary Group.

Workstations that are stuck in a “Downloading 0%” state will resume the download after the content has been made available for them. If you cannot find a way to resolve this, you can delete the DEPLOYMENT and the next Machine Policy Cycle will remove from the Client Software Center the update that is stuck (and the other updates that were part of that deployment).



Update Stuck at Downloading 20%, 33%, 66% or such.

The possible stuck-percent can vary but if the update is stuck in some other value than zero, then the aswer is simple: a language version of this update is missing! The system has downloaded one of the three update languages (33%) and is waiting for the remaining two (66%) hat has not been enabled or downloaded or distributed to the Distribution Point.

In my scenario the situation was the following:
My update was downloaded in ENGLISH, and SWEDISH, but FINNISH was missing. This caused the update to hang at “Downloaded 66%” because EN and SV was downloaded, but the FI update was not enabled nor distributed at all. You need to enable the language, Synchronize SUP, Download the Updates, Distribute to the DPs (will happen automatically when set to download new content).

Workstations that are stuck in a “Downloading XX%” state will resume the download after the content has been made available for them. If you cannot find a way to resolve this, you can delete the DEPLOYMENT and the next Machine Policy Cycle will remove from the Client Software Center the update that is stuck (and the other updates that were part of that deployment).

Noticed, that the target system has FI-language enabled in it, and Office is using FI-language as default.

Need to enable the Software Update File in Finnish language as well in the site server SUP.

Important Server-side SUP Logs
ConfigMgr\Logs\PatchDownloader.log Server downloading process
%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Temp\3 Server downloading process
There was an error downloading the software update (12002)

Problem: When you set patches manually to download from the SCCM, you might end up in the following error message (12002). The error message translates from the log as 0x80072ee2 (The operation timed out [WINHTTP]). There does not seem to be any logical reason at the moment for this message, and could be environment specific. Each and every time the system started downloading SOME of the updates, but timed out before processing the full list.

Solution: Keep trying to download the patches, and finally the system manages to reach the end of the list. This only has occured when downloading a single patch that has a HUGE amount of available languages and MULTIPLE files for each language. Possible bug or WSUS configuration timeout setting?

2 Thoughts on “Windows Update (SUP) Troubleshooting in SCCM 2012

  1. Bartosz on March 18, 2014 at 11:11 said:

    Hi,

    Thank you for your tutorial. It’s describe situation which I have met in our SCCM enviroment. I have question about this. I hope you will find time to answer me on it. My question are related to “Update Stuck at Downloading 20%, 33%, 66%” part of your tutorial.

    1. In out SCCM enviroment we have installed Office 2010 english version. I have found on two devices in our enviroment, users has installed language pack’s to office. Only on this two devices I have found this problem where updates downloading has been stuck. My question is – your tutorial cover my situation or it is related only to “full” localized version of Office?

    2. On your tutorial picture I seen you have marked only checkmark for “Summary details” with Finnish language. For English you have marked checkmark for both – “Software Update File” and “Summary details”. Could you explain me that?

    Thank you for your answers.

  2. Jyri Lehtonen on March 23, 2014 at 19:48 said:

    Hi Bartosz,

    Sound familiar to me.

    1) This tutorial covers your situation. My example office had language packs as well.
    2) The picture shows a situation in which you will end up with a stuck download (at 50%, if your office is English with Finnish language pack). If you have an Office language pack in your Office deployment, you need to set SCCM to download all the updates from these languages as well for all of the Office updates to download and deploy corrently in your environment. Else some of them will be stuck at downloading (XX%) because the client cant find the correct update media from your distribution points.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


+ five = eight

Post Navigation