Purpose: A new set of updates have been released for SCCM SP1 (CU2)
Since the dawn of the new Configuration Manager 2012 -version, it has been haunted by various bugs. Luckily there is a constant flow of Cumulative Updates available since the release of SP1. Next in the spotlight is the System Center 2012 Configuration Manager SP1 CU2.
Updating the system to a Cumulative Update is far less ambitious task than updating the system to a Service Pack. However, you might need to do some requirement tasks and post installation tasks with the Cumulative Update as well.
Just a heads up: The CU is not a major version update, and finding the new version numbers across the system might not be straightforward. I will post here where you can find each one of them. CU does actually make changes to the CM database. Therefore you might want to backup (and test the backup) before proceeding with the changes.
1) READ http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj553405.aspx
2) LOGOFF all other users of the SCCM server you are updating
3) Make sure to CLOSE the ADMIN CONSOLE
4) Make sure you have permissions to update SERVER and SQL
5) Generally a good idea to REBOOT SERVER before CU update
6) Open 464980_ENU_x64_zip.exe and extract its contents
7) Start CM12-SP1CU2-KB2854009-X64-ENU.exe (Run as Administrator).
8) FOLLOW the installation log: c:\Windows\TEMP\cm12-sp1cu2-kb2854009-x64-enu.log
9) REMINDER that many services will be stopped during the actual install process. Virtualized SCCM in VMWARE will lose connection for a minute since the supporting VMWARE services will be stopped automatically. They will be restarted after the “Install files for update” and “Perform Database Update” have passed.
You can use the pictures below to see how it should look. This installation will take far less time than the SP1 installation did.
Now you should be interested of how to validate that the version has updated?
|SCCM 2012 Version is:||5.00.7711.1000|
|SCCM 2012 SP1 Version is:||5.00.7804.1000|
|SCCM 2012 SP1 CU1 Version is:||5.00.7804.1202|
|SCCM 2012 SP1 CU2 Version is:||5.00.7804.1300|
Normally, you can see the version you are running from the Admin Console by navigating here:
\Administration\Overview\Site Configuration\Sites (and take properties upon your site).
However, the CU2 update is not strong enough update to change the version in this view at all.
However, you can see your environment Cumulative Update -level from the registry (should you have a need to create a collection or a query based on this installation, you can use this as a reference point):
And finally, you can see the Cumulative Update also from the Windows Server Programs “View Installed Updates” as a normal update: